Saturday, April 11, 2009

Potty Training

Ashton has always been very aware of the world around him. As he has become more talkative and independent I thought it would be a good idea to get him his own potty. So off to Target we went and he picked the one he liked best. I didn't take it out of the box until after he was asleep. The following morning as Tyler and I were cleaning up after breakfast Ashton was standing over his potty in the living room saying "that reeks" as he slammed down the potty lid. It's not the first time he's used the phrase in bathroom context (I wonder where he gets that from?) so we lifted the potty lid and sure enough he had delivered it's first package, all on his own!!! We congratulated him and then he sat down to pee pee and did so a few times. And just to show that it's not a fluke he has used the potty 5 times since all on his own. He doesn't always want to use it but he is definitely showing that he is ready. Even though I bought the potty, this all feels so unexpected and I feel so unprepared.

As I was reading some potty training material I realized that we are only here for 2 weeks before our 10 day trip to Colorado where he will be staying with Papa and Nana for a week without us and then we will only be in St. Louis for another 2 weeks before we move to San Antonio. So....I need some advice from all you experienced moms. Do we attempt to potty train with all the disruptions in schedule over the next month or do we wait until we are settled in Texas. Please, advice is welcomed!!!

5 comments:

Katharine said...

I would wait for sure! Sometimes kids need consistancy and when there are changes then the PT can be set back a little. I would just wait another month and then really focus. Good luck!

Kirst said...

I would wait too, sometimes a potty trained kid will regress after a major change occurs, then you would have to train all over again.

Rita said...

NO!!! only two weeks! sad. we will miss you here in STL

sarah said...

I'd let him use the potty as much as he wants, but wait off until you are settled in TX to really start potty training. Good luck!!!

becca said...

I agree with everybody else. I think you should wait until you get settled in Texas before the serious potty training begins. Good luck! We can't wait to see you!