Monday, November 3, 2008

Delivery Day

So my mom came out to help with the new baby and arrived on my due date, October 24th. Only, when she got here, the baby wasn't! So we scheduled an induction day and went October 28th to St. Mary's Hospital to have the baby. It was exciting and I wasn't sure what to expect since I went into labor on my own with Ashton. I was started on Pitocin at 7:30 that morning...by noon I had only dialated to a 5 so the Dr. broke my water. Well, labor picked up quick after that and the contractions were getting painful. I asked for the epidural and an hour later the anesthesiologist finally came into the room without any intention of delivering the epidural. Apparently my platelets were too low and I was at high risk for paralysis if I were to get it...Well, at that point the pain was so strong and I didn't know how I was going to get through labor. As soon as the nurse and Doc left I grabbed Tyler's arm and asked him to give me a blessing inbetween the next contraction. The first words of comfort told me that I would be able to appreciate Christ's suffering for me through the events that I was about to experience. Those words are really the only words I remember but I do know that I was blessed with comfort at that time...and boy did I need it! I was howling in pain...I couldn't help but crack jokes through the pain that was quickly escalating. After three hours of labor I cried (and by this I mean screamed at the top of my lungs) for help. Before I new it the room was full of nurses, residents, and Dr. Blaskewiez. I can't thank Dr. Blask enough for his calm demeanor and firm instructions as to what I needed to do to effectively deliver my baby. I remeber seeing Tyler gown up and hearing him coach and encourage me through each push. It didn't take more than 10 minutes of excruciating pain before Tyler held our boy in his arms. There is NOTHING like holding your child for the first time. I LOVE YOU ISAAC!!! My mom arrived with Ashton an hour later and I was sooooo grateful for all she has done for me and all she did while she was here.

4 comments:

sarah said...

HOlly, you are made of some tough stuff!

Kristin said...

COngratulations! I cannot believe you did that without an epidural. You have bragging rights now!

Grericag said...

Omigosh, I totally relate to your experience. You are AWESOME!!! Labor/delivery is THE most intense, excruciating experience in life, that is for sure!!!! What a sweet little (big!) baby you have now - Isaac is adorable and I love the banana costume! Take care!
Erica Gardner

Mary Ann (Crockett) Ahlstrom said...

Bravo to you! Oh my word...I can't even imagine the pain you were in. What a cutie. Two boys!

We went private with our blog. I can't remember if I sent you an invite. If not, email me at ryanandmaryann@yahoo.com with your address and I will send you one.